Monday, January 18, 2010

Casssic Bran Muffins


Well it's Monday and I feel exactly like Monday sounds. I feel like there is a long week ahead of me. I needed something to make for the kids snack so I decided that I would go to old reliable. Muffins. I love me a good muffin, and thankfully so do my kids. I found this recipe from All Recipes and it really is great. The original recipe called for * buttermilk, but I did not have any on hand so I substituted milk with 1 tsp of lemon juice. I hope you make them for your family.

Recipe:

1 1/2 cups wheat bran                               1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk*                                     1cup flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil                                1 tsp baking soda
1 egg                                                         1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup brown sugar                                 1/2 tsp salt


Method:


In a med bowl, combine bran and buttermilk and let stand for 5 min. In a small bowl mix the sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.


Add the sugar oil mixture to the bran and buttermilk. Mix with a spatula.


In yet another bowl, sift together the flour, salt baking powder and baking soda. As you can see, I hate sifting, so I just use a whisk. Because I can.

Oh ya, I added mini chocolate chips just because I can as well.

Add the flour and chocolate chips and stir until just combined. This picture doesn't show it well, but there are still light streaks of flour throughout.

I use a mini ice cream scoop to fill my mini muffin tins. (I like anything mini) Stick these puppies into a 375 degree oven for about 13-15 min.

Voila!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I love your new format. These look great, and I'm glad there are no raisons in them, chocolate chips are much better.

    ReplyDelete